Proven Leadership for Our Community
As a life-long resident of Beverly Hills, Lisa Korbatov understands the needs of our community and has provided strong leadership to BHUSD for the past four years as a member, and later President, of the Beverly Hills School Board.
Lisa Korbatov is a Beverly Hills High School alumni ('82), parent of three daughters who have all attended BHUSD schools, successful businesswoman, dedicated community servant, and principled leader.
An open letter to Beverly Hills
The very essence of leadership is that you have to have vision, you can't blow an uncertain trumpet. These last four years on the Board of Education have fostered an urgency for me to maintain a deep focus and firm resolve to move this district forward from good to great. There are the critics and then there is the box office, we can count our growth in measurable and tangible ways. Going from good to great might seem like a slogan to some, but we have a resurgence of resident students returning to our district, we can literally count our successes. So, the clock is ticking, and life is measured in real time and our students are experiencing life and education at Beverly Hills Unified School District in real time. I am ever mindful of the reality of the ticking clock and will continue to work diligently to fulfill my obligation on this Board. Once again, the challenges are many but so are the opportunities for success. I humbly ask for your vote this November 5th, 2013 so that I may return to the BHUSD Board of Education to continue the important work I have set out to do.
Lisa K. Korbatov
Accomplishments on BHUSD Board of Education since 2009
- CUT $2 million in overhead without any layoffs or reducing any instructional days
- AVOIDED $3 million in cuts to classrooms by transitioning BHUSD to Basic Aid status
- RAISED overall District academic scores to the highest rates in last decade (3 out of 5 schools with Academic Performance Index ratings over 900)
- STOOD FIRM against public corruption to recover over $6 million for our District
- INCREASED high school curriculum to match admission requirements for the University of California system
- MAINTAINED small class sizes across all schools by restoring absolute caps on student-teacher ratios(K-3 ratio as 20:1, Grades 4-5 ratio as 29:1, Grades 6-12 ratio as average of 29:1 with total student load per day not to exceed 145 students)
- NEGOTIATED for cumulatively 21 additional days of instruction per year at the high school through an increase in the minute cap for instruction at High School by 100 minutes per day
- PHASED OUT all Opportunity Permits in the district, while avoiding threatened lawsuits and winning over 70% of the appeals at the Los Angeles County Office of Education
- CRAFTED the first-ever Mission and Beliefs statement for the BHUSD to guide educational leadership in the District
- COMMISSIONED the District’s first Citizen’s Finance Committee to improve financial engagement for our schools by the community
- RECOGNIZED that the use of mental retardation, as a category for our students, is harmful to community progress and TOOK THE LEAD in the State of California to end that practice
- SECURED free PSAT testing for all juniors at Beverly Hills High School
- CREATED a Master Plan for updating the facilities and campuses throughout BHUSD
- IMPLEMENTED a new STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) integration program for BHUSD
- HIRED the #1 Superintendant in the State of California and replaced underperforming senior staff
- SPEARHEADED the investigative process with California Geological Society to make certain that our schools are safe to build on and teach at
- IMPROVED teacher morale and professional conditions significantly within the school system, creating an environment more conducive to learning